- 1533 – William I of Orange (d. 1584). Yuck…. the beginning of the troubles
- 1937 – Joe Henderson, American jazz saxophonist (d. 2001)
- 1942 – Barbra Streisand, American singer/actress
- 1964 – Cedric the Entertainer, American comedian and actor
- 1982 – Kelly Clarkson, American singer
- 1656 – Thomas Fincke, Danish mathematician and physicist (b. 1561)
- 1974 – Bud Abbott, American actor and comedian (b. 1895)
- 1479 BC – Thutmose III ascends to the throne of Egypt, although power effectively shifts to Hatshepsut (according to the Low Chronology of the 18th Dynasty).
- 1184 BC – Greeks enter Troy using the Trojan Horse (traditional).
- 1558 – Mary Queen of Scots marries the Dauphin of France, François, at Notre Dame de Paris.
- 1704 – The first regular newspaper in the United States, the Boston, Massachusetts New-Letter, is published.
- 1917 – The US declares war on Germany and they enter World War One.
- 1953 – Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom.
- 1961 – Bob Dylan earned a $50 session fee for playing harmonica on Harry Belafonte’s “Midnight Special.” It was his recording debut.
- 1979 – “Georgia on My Mind” is adopted as the official state song of the U.S. state of Georgia, a month after it is performed before a joint session of the Georgia General Assembly by Ray Charles.
- 1990 – STS-31: The Hubble Space Telescope is launched by the Space Shuttle Discovery.